Top Tips for detoxing
We could all do with a super boost of nutrients. Cleansing is a great way to increase energy, lose weight, reduce inflammation, relieve bloating, improve sleep, and enhance clarity of mind.
Tips for before a cleanse:
- Gradually eliminate coffee, refined sugar, meat, dairy products and wheat to try and reduce headaches, cravings, and other withdrawal symptoms during the cleanse.
- Slowly increase your intake of fresh vegetables, fruits, wholegrains, nuts, seeds and fluids.
Tips for during a cleanse:
- Try to stick to the nutritionist approved juices and cleanse program as much as possible without consuming any additional foods or juices.
- Staying hydrated and drinking plenty of water is crucial.
- For optimal results drink herbal tea throughout the day. This can help to enhance the cleanse by soothing the stomach lining, enhancing detoxification and supporting immunity
- Go slowly. Gradually increase your meal size and add foods back in over the course of several days.
What You Can Eat
Room temperature or lukewarm water is recommended to be consumed throughout the day and between each juice or meal to help flush out the toxins in your body and keep you thoroughly hydrated.
Nut milks are used during juice cleanses to provide additional nutrients, flavour and variety in addition as providing a good source of protein to keep you sufficiently fuelled for the following day’s activities.
Gluten-Free Whole Foods
Gluten-free vegan meals and snacks may be consumed if you need to reach for some solid food during a cleanse, while you are preparing for a cleanse, or as you transition off a juice cleanse. We suggest the following solid foods;
- Whole grains
- All fruits and vegetables
- Soy products such as tofu
- Beans and legumes
What You Cannot Eat
For the best results, all solid food should be restricted.
All animal products are excluded from juice cleanses, including dairy, eggs, and foods eaten on a vegetarian diet. We suggest avoiding all of the following food groups while on a juice cleanse;
Part of the cleansing process involves removing processed foods and those that do not provide nutrition. These include the following;
- Sugary drinks or sweets
- Fried foods
Top tips whilst you’re cleansing
The body more readily absorbs nutrients and antioxidants in liquid form and so it is recommended to drink juice slowly to optimise nutrient absorption. Juice should be consumed approximately every two, with the final drink of the day at least two hours before bedtime.
What exercise and activities you should and shouldn’t do
During a juice cleanse, you should stick to light physical activity due to the reduced calories and food groups. While it’s a good idea to tone down your exercise routine during a juice cleanse, everyday activities such as walking are encouraged. Walking and light exercise will help boost blood circulation, increase your mood, and help keep you active.
Additional mind-body practices are encouraged, along with a juice cleanse. Allow the mind to rest by incorporating mind/body practices such as diaphragmatic breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, or mindfulness meditation. Try to get plenty of rest. Go to bed as early as you can and take naps if possible.